Lawrence J. McClafferty
Lawrence J. McClafferty is a principal with McCandlish Lillard, and a member of its Executive Committee. He works out of the firm’s Fairfax and Loudoun offices. Lawrence is a trial and appellate lawyer who, in recent years, has devoted much of his practice to litigation involving business torts, community associations, and fiduciary litigation, which includes will contests, breach of fiduciary duty claims, and guardianship/conservatorship actions. He lectured on fiduciary litigation at the 2016 Virginia Bar Association winter meeting.
Lawrence was part of the litigation team that obtained the largest jury verdict in the Commonwealth of Virginia for 2016, as reported by Virginia Lawyers Weekly. He is AV-rated by Martindale Hubbell and is a nine-time selection by Virginia Business magazine as one of its “Legal Elite.”
He serves as Commissioner in Chancery for the Loudoun County Circuit Court and is in the midst of a six-year term as a Substitute Judge for the 20th Judicial District. He is a past president of the Loudoun County Bar Association and a member of the bars of the United States Supreme Court and Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, as well as the Virginia State Bar, Virginia Bar Association, Fairfax Bar Association and the Loudoun County Bar Association.
Lawrence earned his B.A. degree from Boston College and his law degree from Washington and Lee University. He was born and raised in Washington, D.C., and lives in Loudoun County with his wife and daughters.
- B.A., Boston College, 1990
- J.D., Washington & Lee University School of Law, 1994
- United States Supreme Court
- United State Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
Affiliations & Activities
- Lawrence has been a member of the Virginia State Bar since 1994, and is also a member of the Loudoun County Bar Association (President, 2007-2008), Fairfax Bar Association, the Virginia Bar Association, and the Community Association Institute.
- Born and raised in Washington, D.C., Lawrence resides in Loudoun County, Virginia with his wife and four daughters.
Distinctions & Honors
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated attorney, the highest rating from Martindale-Hubbell®.
- Client Wins Multimillion Dollar Jury Verdict in Will Contest Action (July 2016)
- Fight over estate tops 2016’s list of ‘Largest Verdicts’ (January 2016)
- Firm Wins Fight Over Mom’s Millions (October 25, 2011)
- Find Where Holdings, Inc. v. Systems Environment Optimization, LLC, 626 F. 3d 752 (4th Cir. 2010)
- Phoenix Renovation Corporation v. Rodriguez, 2007 U.S. App. LEXIS 29253 (4th Cir. 2007)
- Newman v. Advanced Tech. Innovation Corp., 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 55984 (E.D. Va. 2012)
- Reineck v. Lemen, 292 Va. 710 (2016)
- Gowin v. Granite Depot, L.L.C., 272 Va. 246 (2006)
- G & M Homes II, Inc. v. Pearson, 263 Va. 107 (2002)
- Sully Station II Community Association, Inc. v. Dye, 259 Va. 282 (2000)
- Parasidis v. Karageorge, 2015 Va. App. LEXIS 365 (Va. Ct. App. 2015)