Autumn D. McCullogh
Autumn focuses her practice in the areas of estate and tax planning, estate administration, trust administration, guardianships, conservatorships and fiduciary litigation. She believes in providing value to her clients by remaining approachable and presenting the legal components of a project in a way that is easily understood so that her clients can make informed decisions.
Autumn advises clients on asset protection, wealth preservation (including issues related to the federal estate tax, gift tax and generation skipping tax as well as state and local taxes), charitable giving and, most importantly, navigating family dynamics. Autumn leverages her experience as a small business owner to provide innovative strategies related to business succession and the formation of entities designed to seamlessly transfer business interests in a tax advantageous manner. Utilizing a team approach, Autumn works with Certified Public Accountants, Financial Advisors and Wealth Management teams and business valuation experts to ensure the successful implementation of plans created for her clients.
Autumn is licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the State of California. She is a member of Virginia State Bar, the California State Bar, the Virginia Bar Association, the Fairfax Bar Association, including its Trusts & Estates Section, the Loudoun County Bar Association, the Virginia Women Attorneys Association (serving as President of the Loudoun Chapter from 2015 – 2016), and the Catoctin Estate Planning Council, a member of the National Association of Estate Planners and Councils (serving as President from 2015 – 2017). She is a frequent speaker on the topics of estate planning and estate and trust administration in both public forums as well as Continuing Legal Education (CLE) classes throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Autumn has been named by Virginia Business Magazine as a member of the Legal Elite in the area of estate planning since 2012 and recognized by Northern Virginia Magazine as one of the top 50 financial professionals in the area of estate planning every year since 2013. She is most proud, however, of her work with the Business Women’s Giving Circle, which seeks to raise and direct funds to promote women and girls in the Northern Virginia area.
- J.D., cum laude, University of San Diego School of Law
Affiliations & Activities
- California State Bar
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Bar Association
- Fairfax County Bar Association; Trusts & Estates Section
- Loudoun County Bar Association
- Virginia Women’s Attorney Association – Loudoun Chapter, 2015-2016 President
- Catoctin Estate Planning Council, 2014-2017 President
- Cherry Blossom Breast Cancer Foundation, Vice-Chair
Distinctions & Honors
- President, Catoctin Estate Planning Council
- President, Virginia Women’s Attorney Association – Loudoun Chapter (2015-2016)
- Autumn was named by Virginia Business Magazine as a member of the Legal Elite in 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2016
- Autumn has also been recognized by Northern Virginia Magazine as one of the top 50 financial professionals every year since 2013
Publications & Presentations
- Speaker at the HalfMoon Education program “The Complete Trust Course,” presenting on “Understanding Estate, Gift and Trust Taxation” as well as “Discount Planning with Trusts”(September 27, 2016).
- Speaker at the National Business Institute program “Estate Administration From Start to Finish,” presenting on “Handling Creditor Claims and Debts” as well as “Distribution and Closing of the Estate,” (August 23, 2016).