BUSINESS & INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Business lawyers at McCandlish Lillard understand that businesses rely on legal counsel that is both competent and cost effective. We understand that a good business lawyer is a problem solver and, in many ways, a business partner. A good business lawyer is someone you can trust to “buy in” to your business and advocate for your company’s interest on a broad range of legal and regulatory questions.
We work closely with our clients to devise and carry out legal strategies that address these business needs without breaking the bank. McCandlish lawyers advise the firm’s clients throughout the life-cycle of their businesses, from start-up and early stage through established and mature, assisting clients with transactions, strategic partnering arrangements, mergers and combinations, capital formation, executive compensation and retention, among many other matters, that help their businesses grow revenue and market share, reduce costs, and achieve efficiencies of scale, among other objectives.
We are experienced in advising businesses in many different industries, including hospital systems, bio technology, and medical groups, technology and software companies, government contractors, real estate developers, commercial and residential landlords, hospitality companies, life settlement companies, trade associations, retail establishments, and engineering, accountancy, architectural, legal, and other professional practices.
Our business lawyers are licensed to practice in Virginia, the District of Columbia, and Maryland and have also assisted clients with incorporating in Delaware. Services offered by McCandlish’s Business Law Group include:
ENTITY FORMATION AND STRUCTURING
- Counsel on choosing the proper entity for your business’ goals and anticipated needs
- Formation of Stock and Non-Stock Corporations, Limited Liability Entities, Professional Corporations, and Partnerships
- Formation of Charities and Other Tax-Exempt Organizations
- Shareholder, Operating, and Buy-Sell Agreements setting forth rights and responsibilities of business owners
- Corporate mergers and reorganizations
- Stock issuances
- Stock option plans
- Regulatory compliance
- Codes of Ethics
- Responsibilities of corporate fiduciaries
- Maintenance of non-profit status
- Employment Law and Human Resources Counseling, including Employment Manuals
- Employment and Independent Contractor Agreements, including Covenants Not To Compete, Invention Ownership and Nondisclosure Agreements
- Employee benefit plans
- Employment litigation
- Start-up and venture financing
The Information Technology Group counsels software, Internet, e-commerce, and other information technology companies from start-up through venture capital investment to sale or merger. Our IT attorneys provide a broad range of legal services for technology clients, including:
- Agreements and Relationships with Developers, Resellers and Strategic Partners
- Proprietary Rights and Non-Competition Agreements for Technical Employees
- Trademark and Copyright Registration and Protection
- Domain Name, Trademark and Copyright Disputes
- Online Policies, Agreements and Terms of Service
- Start-up, Venture Capital and Other Financing
- Stock Option and Other Incentive Compensation Plans
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution for Information Technology Companies
- Software and Technology Licensing
- Trademark and Copyright Counseling, Registration and Enforcement
- Protection of Trade Secrets and Other Confidential Information
- Licensing of Intellectual Property Rights
- Non-Disclosure and non-competition agreements
- Website terms of service, policies, and online contracts
- Internet domain name, copyright, and trademark infringement disputes and negotiations
- Commercial contract negotiation and drafting
- Sale and lease of commercial and residential property, including Subordination, Non-Disturbance and Attornment Agreements
- Equipment leases
- Negotiation of financing terms
- Vendor and supplier contracts
- Purchaser orders
- Non-Disclosure, Joint Venture, Strategic Alliance, Teaming Agreements, and prime and subcontract agreements
- FAR requirements and compliance
- Qualification pursuant to Small Business Administration Programs, including 8(a) Business Development Program, Veteran Owned Small Business (VOSB), and Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business (SDVOSB).
- Entity and Transactional Financing
- Subordination agreements
- Loan and security agreements
- Promissory Notes
- Deeds of trust
- Stock pledge agreements
- Ownership Dispute Resolution
- Business and Related Litigation
MERGERS & ACQUISITIONS
- Equity and asset acquisitions
- Mergers, recapitalization and other restructuring
BUSINESS SUCCESSION AND EXIT PLANNING
- Succession Planning/Wealth Maintenance for Business Owners
- Licensing and permits for restaurants and hotels
- Alcoholic Beverage Control licensing
- Acquisitions of businesses and real property
- Trademark and branding
HEALTH CARE INDUSTRY
The Health Care Group provides a broad range of business and health care services to hospitals, medical staffs, continuing care retirement communities (CCRCs), nursing homes, physicians and physician groups, other health care providers and groups, and businesses dealing with the health care community. Services provided by the Health Care Group to client include:
- Formation of Appropriate For-Profit and Not-For-Profit Legal Entities; Preparation of Documents.
- Qualification of Entities for Not-For-Profit Tax Status.
- Negotiation and Preparation of Computer Software and Hardware Lease, Purchase, License and Service Agreements.
- Preparation of Employment, Independent Contractor, Deferred Compensation, Buy-Sell and Stockholder Agreements.
- Qualification of Entities for Not-For-Profit Tax Status.
- Consultation and Advice on Medical Staff Bylaws, Staff Credentialing and Related Matters.
- Assertion, Documentation and Protection of Intellectual Property Claims, Rights and Licenses.
- Labor and Employment Matters.
- General Business Representation of Health Care Providers, Organizations and Entities.
We invite you to contact us to discuss your business’ legal issue.
ANY PRIOR CASE RESULTS DISCUSSED OR CITED ON THIS WEBSITE DO NOT GUARANTEE OR PREDICT THE SAME OR A SIMILAR OUTCOME IN YOUR CASE OR ANY OTHER FUTURE CASES. EACH CASE OR LEGAL ISSUE IS DIFFERENT, AND THE OUTCOME OF EACH CASE DEPENDS ON A VARIETY OF FACTORS THAT ARE UNIQUE TO THAT CASE OR MATTER.