Stephen C. Price
Steve Price’s business practice is focused on:
- Real estate matters
- Litigation involving adverse possession, easement and covenant disputes, partition and quieting of title
- Land conservation easements
- Litigation involving estates and trusts
- Representation of not-for profits
- Handled over 40 jury trials in state and federal courts
- Lead counsel in over 20 reported state and federal decisions
- Argued cases in the Virginia Supreme Court and the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
In addition, Steve has served in the following capacities:
- Local Right-of-way counsel for the Virginia Department of Transportation (1981-1990), handling over 75 property acquisitions through condemnation for the Commonwealth
- Commissioner in Chancery for the Circuit Court of Loudoun County
- Substitute Judge for the General District Courts of Loudoun, Fauquier and Rappahannock Counties 1982-94
- General Counsel: Land Trust of Virginia, Healthworks for Northern Virginia, Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, and Oatlands (a property of the National Trust for Historic Preservation)
- LL.M., University of Cambridge (Queens’ College), 1977
- J.D., University of Virginia, 1974
- B.A. with honors, Virginia Military Institute, 1971
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
Affiliations & Activities
- President, George C. Marshall International Center, 2009-2012
- Member, Loudoun County Civil War Sesquicentennial Committee, 2009-2015
- Member, Mosby Heritage Area Association, Board of Directors, 2010-present
- Served to Captain, United States Army
- Virginia Bar Association Board of Governors, 2005-2008
- Chairman, Civil Litigation Section, 1999-2000
- Member, Real Estate Section Council, 2014-present
- Committee on Nominations to Virginia Appellate Courts, 2002- 2009
- Virginia State Bar Public Protection Task Force, 2008-2010
- Loudoun County Bar Association (President, 1986)
- Member, Boyd-Graves Conference
Distinctions & Honors
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated attorney, the highest rating from Martindale-Hubbell®.
- Voted among the “Legal Elite” Virginia Business, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016
- Virginia “Super Lawyer,” 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017
- Leesburg’s Thomas Balch Library Advisory Commission recently presented its 2014 History Award to Stephen C. Price for his many contributions to the conservation of land, historic preservation, and the history of Loudoun County.
Publications & Presentations
- Memorandum Opinion & Order (sitting as Judge pro tempore) – Eaton v. Baer, Circuit Court of Loudoun County, Case No. 82643. Issued September 26, 2017.
- Final Order (sitting as Judge pro tempore) – Eaton v. Baer, Circuit Court of Loudoun County, Case No. 82643. Issued September 27, 2017.
- Commissioner’s Report – Parry v. GC Property, LLC, Circuit Court of Loudoun County, Case No. 87179. Issued March 14, 2016 and Confirmed August 5, 2016.
- Legalities of Leasing Arrangements, presentation at the Piedmont Environmental Council’s Farmland Leasing Workshop, November 4-5, 2015.
- Memorandum Opinion (sitting as Judge pro tempore) – Eaton v. Baer, Circuit Court of Loudoun County, Case No. 82643. Issued August 20, 2015.
- Memorandum Opinion (sitting as Judge pro tempore) – Eaton v. Baer, Circuit Court of Loudoun County, Case No. 82643. Issued November 4, 2014.
- Resolving Boundary Line Disputes in Virginia, conducted by NBI in Fairfax, Virginia on April 14, 2015. An outline of his remarks is available here: “Litigating Boundary Disputes: Motions for Judgment to Establish Boundary Lines and Claims of Adverse Possession” (PDF).
- “Litigating Disputes Over Easements and Restrictive Covenants” conducted by NBI in Fairfax, Virginia on April 1, 2014. An outline of his remarks is available here: “Overview of Easements (Servitudes), Licenses and Restrictive Covenants Relating to Land” (PDF).
- “Advanced Eminent Domain and Valuation,” conducted by NBI in Fairfax, Virginia on October 3, 2013. An outline of his remarks is available here: “Advanced Ethical Issues in Condemnation” (PDF).
Cale v. Paderick, 546 F2d 577 (4th Cir. Va. 1976)
Cradle of Democracy Broadcasting Co. v. David Green Broadcast Consultants Corp., 33 B.R. 1004 (1983)
McLean Bank v. Nelson, 232 Va. 420 (1986)
United States v. 198.73 Acres of Land, 800 F.2d 434 (4th Cir. 1986)
Loudoun County Bd. of Supervisors v. Lunn, 24 Va. Cir. 13 (Loudoun Co. 1990)
Trout v. Commonwealth Trans. Comm’r, 241 Va. 69 (1991)
First State Holdings, Inc. v. Shor Leesburg Assn., L.P., 28 Va. Cir. 314 (Loudoun 1992)
DCDF Inc. v. Shay, 30 Va. Cir. 185 (Loudoun 1993)
Sjurseth v. Loudoun Co., 31 Va. Cir. 335 (Loudoun 1993)
DCDF, Inc. v. Cam-Net Data Systems, 31 Va. Cir. 457 (Loudoun 1993)
Alberts v. Karl Mintjens Furniture International, Inc., 30 Va. Cir. 245 (Loudoun 1993)
Dator Corporation v. Rufus S. Lusk & Son, 1995 U.S. App Lexis 14605
Loudoun County Bd of Supervisors v. Vanguard Ltd. Partnership, 35 Va. Cir. 254 & 38 Va. Cir. 200 (Loudoun 1994 & 1995).
Miller v. Miller, 1996 Va. App. Lexis 499
Wilson v. Farmington on the Green Homeowners’ Assn, 1997 Va. Cir. Lexis 693
Stephens v. Caruthers, 97 F. Supp. 2d, 698 (E.D. Va. 2000)
America Online, Inc. v. E*Trade Group, Inc., 59 Va. Cir. 48 (Loudoun 2002)
Sherry Wilson and Co., Inc. v. Generals Court, L.C., No. 21696, 2002 WL 32136374 at (Va. Cir. Ct. Sept. 27, 2002)
Shilling v. Jimenez, 268 Va. 202 (2004)
Kerttula v. Candea, 68 Va. Cir. 414 (Loudoun 2005)
Gowin v. Granite Depot, LLC, 272 Va. 246 (2006)
Phoenix Renovation Corp. v. Rodriguez, 461 F. Supp. 2d 411 (E. D. Va. 2006)
Augmentation Inc. v. Atoka Chase Ass’n, 2008 Va. Cir. LEXIS 198 (Loudoun Co.)
Christian Gonzales Construction, L.L.C. v. Webb et al., 2009 Va. Cir. LEXIS 179 (Loudoun Co.)
Fein, Trustee v. Zand 78, LLC (Supreme Court of Va. 2015)
Westlake Legal Group v. Flynn, 798 S.E.2d 187 (Va. 2017)