A Century of Looking Forward.
McCandlish Lillard traces its roots to 1908. Over the years, its lawyers have been involved in the growth of Northern Virginia, not only from a legal perspective, but in a wide variety of legal, civic and professional endeavors. Throughout the firm’s history, McCandlish lawyers have dedicated themselves to anticipating tomorrow’s legal challenges. F. D. Richardson, the founder of the firm, began practicing law in the small town of Fairfax in 1908. Robert J. McCandlish, Jr. began clerking with F. D. Richardson in 1930 upon his graduation from the University of Maryland. After attending law school in the evenings and graduating in 1934, McCandlish joined Richardson in the practice of law. In January 1942, F. D. Richardson and Robert J. McCandlish Jr. became partners and announced the new firm, Richardson & McCandlish, which soon became recognized as one of the preeminent providers of legal services in Northern Virginia. From 1984 to 1995, the firm merged with and became the Northern Virginia office of a large regional law firm. In 1995, McCandlish & Lillard was reestablished as an independent firm capable of providing a broad and diverse array of legal services.
Today, with offices in Fairfax and Leesburg, we view ourselves as part of a complex and ever-changing world economy and a dynamic local economy. What began in 1908 as one man’s practice in a very small town called Fairfax, has become a firm of more than twenty lawyers who practice through the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Despite these changes, McCandlish lawyers have revolutionized the practice of law. Our firm holds true to the spirit of its founders by adapting to the changing needs of clients and expanding its expertise in all areas where legal needs can be filled. Our history tells the story of a century of looking forward.
To read a more detailed history of our firm, click here (PDF).