Federal and state tax laws are ever-changing. McCandlish Lillard’s Taxation practice has the broad-based experience and knowledge to keep up with new tax developments that impact the overall business, financial, estate and charitable planning objectives for various types of clients including business owners, executives, private equity fund partners, real estate developers, expats, retirees and their families.
We take a holistic approach in advising clients from both the legal and tax perspective, as tax issues commonly arise and overlap across various practice areas of our firm. We work collaboratively with our colleagues in the areas of business, family law, real estate, litigation and wills, trusts and estates to provide full-service and creative solutions in a cross-disciplinary and cost-effective manner. We also advise executors and trustees with regard to fiduciary tax elections, reporting obligations and other issues arising with regard to the taxation of trusts and estates.
Services offered by McCandlish’s Taxation practice include:
BUSINESS ENTITY AND PRE-SALE PLANNING
- Choice of entity
- Structuring buy-sell agreements and liquidity funding options
- Pre-sale income tax and wealth transfer planning
- Income, estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer (GST) tax planning for individuals and families
- Charitable planning and formation of private foundations, charitable trusts and donor advised funds
- Cross border estate and income tax planning
TAXATION OF TRUSTS AND ESTATES
- Fiduciary income taxation of domestic and foreign grantor and non-grantor trusts
- Preparation and filing of estate tax returns
- Post-mortem planning and other fiduciary elections to minimize and defer tax for an estate, trust and/or its beneficiaries
- Resolution of tax controversy matters with the Internal Revenue Service and state and local tax authorities