Alan B. Croft
For over 30 years Alan Croft has practiced exclusively as a litigator with a reputation as an aggressive and thorough trial attorney. Early in his career he served as a criminal prosecutor for the Commonwealth of Virginia and since that time, he has been involved in virtually all areas of civil and criminal litigation. More recently, his practice has focused on complex commercial matters, insurance coverage disputes and other insurance matters for both U.S. and foreign clients, complex construction litigation, and personal injury claims. With this background, he is able to arrive at a strategy that will result in a successful resolution of clients’ legal matters.
Alan has served as lead counsel in more than 100 trials in state and federal courts throughout the United States as well as hearings before arbitral tribunals. One such notable matter was an environmental coverage dispute against a major international corporation which was tried before a California jury for three months and resulted in a defense verdict that saved the firm’s insurer clients over $100 million. Another significant case involved the representation of London Market Insurers in a complex coverage dispute against a Fortune 100 company. The matter was tried for over two months in Missouri and resulted in a favorable judgment avoiding $70 million of potential liabilities.
In addition to his years as a trial attorney, Alan also draws upon his experiences as a patent attorney and as the president of a real estate development firm, which have benefited him in his handling of complex technical and commercial issues.
- J.D., American University, 1970
- B.S.E.E., Washington University, 1966
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Distinctions & Honors
- “Virginia Super Lawyers®”
- Best Lawyers in Business Litigation Award
- Northern Virginia Magazine’s Top Lawyer Listing
- Virginia’s Legal Elite – Civil Litigation
- Designation as an AV® Preeminent™* Peer Review Rated attorney, the highest rating from Martindale-Hubbell®.